VERO Biotech Commits to Atlanta Healthcare Providers, Patients and Hiring Expansions During COVID-19 Pandemic
Atlanta-based biotech provides innovative portable inhaled nitric oxide (iNO) delivery system; Makes emergency treatment protocols available to Atlanta hospitals; Company is hiring in Atlanta to meet increased demand
April 13, 2020 – VERO Biotech LLC, an Atlanta, Georgia-based biotechnology company focused on saving lives, alleviating suffering, and improving the health economics of care, today announced that it is increasing its commitment to support the treatment of patients afflicted with complications of COVID-19 with GENOSYL® Delivery System (DS), the first and only FDA-approved tankless system for the delivery of inhaled nitric oxide. As a result of the first patient treated at home with GENOSYL® (nitric oxide) gas for inhalation, and the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, VERO’s three-point response includes:
- Emergency access of GENOSYL to patients with COVID-19 complications for outpatient treatment
- Access to local Atlanta-based hospitals via Emergency Treatment Protocol (ETP)
- Significant increase in local Atlanta hiring to meet production demand for GENOSYL
“During our national public health crisis, VERO Biotech is proud to make available our proprietary inhaled nitric oxide portable delivery system for patients compromised by COVID-19, especially in our hometown of Atlanta,” said Brent V. Furse, President and CEO, VERO Biotech.
VERO Biotech‘s GENOSYL DS is a compact and user-friendly nitric oxide delivery system, that will not only enable hospitals to reduce logistical burden as compared to the cumbersome tank-based systems currently available, but could provide greater patient access to this potentially life-saving drug.
About Inhaled Nitric Oxide
Nitric oxide is a powerful molecule proven to play a critical role in a broad array of biological functions. In the airways, nitric oxide targets the vascular smooth muscle cells that surround the small resistance arteries in the lungs and is used in adult respiratory distress syndrome and persistent pulmonary hypertension of the neonate.
Prior to the approval of the GENOSYL Delivery System, the only way to provide iNO was via large, pressurized gas cylinders and associated delivery systems.
GENOSYL (nitric oxide) gas, for inhalation, is indicated to improve oxygenation and reduce the need for extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in term and near-term (>34 weeks gestation) neonates with hypoxic respiratory failure associated with clinical or echocardiographic evidence of pulmonary hypertension in conjunction with ventilatory support and other appropriate agents.
Important Safety Information
- GENOSYL is contraindicated in the treatment of neonates dependent on right-to-left shunting of blood.
- Abrupt discontinuation of GENOSYL (nitric oxide) gas, for inhalation may lead to worsening oxygenation and increasing pulmonary artery pressure.
- Methemoglobin levels in the blood increase with the dose of nitric oxide; following discontinuation or reduction of nitric oxide, methemoglobin levels return to baseline over a period of hours.
- Methemoglobin, NO2, and PaO2 should be monitored during nitric oxide administration.
- In patients with pre-existing left ventricular dysfunction, GENOSYL may increase pulmonary capillary wedge pressure leading to pulmonary edema.
- The most common adverse reaction is hypotension.
- Nitric oxide donor compounds may have an additive effect with GENOSYL on the risk of developing methemoglobinemia.
- GENOSYL must be administered using a calibrated GENOSYL Delivery System. Only validated ventilator systems or nasal cannulas should be used in conjunction with GENOSYL.
Please visit www.vero-biotech.com for the full Prescribing Information for GENOSYL.
About GENOSYL DS
GENOSYL DS is VERO Biotech‘s lead product specifically designed for the hospital intensive care setting. This proprietary delivery system eliminates the need for large nitric oxide tanks and the associated logistical burden. GENOSYL DS is a tankless and portable system engineered with redundant backup features, which delivers a constant concentration of inhaled nitric oxide gas to patients and the easy-to-use interface and portability features.
About VERO Biotech LLC
VERO Biotech LLC (formerly known as GeNO LLC) is a biotechnology company focused on the design, development, and commercialization of next-generation products to address the unmet medical needs of patients with a variety of pulmonary and cardiac diseases.
VERO Biotech LLC is dedicated to improving the lives of patients by leading the development of innovative technologies for inhaled nitric oxide delivery in the acute care hospital setting and beyond, wherever inhaled nitric oxide treatment is needed.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release and any statements of representatives of VERO Biotech LLC related thereto that are not historical in nature contain, or may contain, among other things, certain “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements may include, without limitation, statements with respect to VERO Biotech’s plans, objectives, projections, expectations and intentions and other statements identified by words such as “projects,” “may,” “will,” “could,” “would,” “should,” “believes,” “expects,” “anticipates,” “estimates,” “seeks,” “intends,” “plans,” “potential” or similar expressions, including statements with respect to the potential effects of its products and plans to assess and undertake next steps for VERO Biotech LLC. These statements are based upon the current beliefs and expectations of VERO Biotech’s management and are subject to significant risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ significantly from those set forth in the forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements involve certain risks and uncertainties that are subject to change based on various risk factors (many of which are beyond VERO Biotech’s control).
For information, please visit www.vero-biotech.com or contact Ray Russo at Ray.Russo@vero-biotech.com or (908) 313-7172.
# # #