Alcon, the global leader in eye care dedicated to helping people see brilliantly, will present a robust scientific program with a dozen accepted abstracts on the company’s unique, permanent water surface contact lens technologies during The American Academy of Optometry Annual Meeting (#Academy21) in Boston, Massachusetts taking place November 3-6, 2021. Data on Alcon’s proprietary water surface technologies includes clinical efficacy for TOTAL30® monthly replacement contact lenses, PRECISION1® and PRECISION1® for Astigmatism one-day contact lenses, and DAILIES TOTAL1® daily disposable contact lenses.
“We’re thrilled to share scientific and clinical updates at #Academy21 for Alcon’s water surface contact lens technologies which continue to show critical practice and patient benefits,” said Dr. Mohinder Merchea, OD, PhD, MBA, Global Medical Affairs Strategy & Publications at Alcon. “These results underscore why Alcon’s water surface technologies have been recognized by eye care professionals as being in a class of their own, going beyond silicone hydrogel alone.” Additionally, permanent water surface contact lenses have been recognized as a distinct lens category in Tyler’s Quarterly.
TOTAL30 Monthly Replacement Contact Lenses Demonstrate Clinical Performance, Comfort and Antimicrobial Efficacy
New clinical studies presented at #Academy21 of TOTAL30, a new, silicone hydrogel Water Gradient monthly contact lens, evaluate its clinical performance and the antimicrobial efficacy of five contact lens care products used with TOTAL30. Additional studies show consistent insertion comfort, vision and handling performance of TOTAL30 over three months of daily wear. TOTAL30 presentations presented on November 4 include:
- Paper Presentation: Antimicrobial Efficacy of Contact Lens Care Products in the Presence of Lehfilcon A Contact Lenses. Presented by Dr. Manal M. Gabriel, 10:15 – 10:30 a.m. ET
- Poster Presentation: Consistent Comfort, Vision and Handling Performance of a New Monthly Replacement Spherical Contact Lens Over 3 Months of Daily Wear. Presented by Dr. Holly Lorentz, 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. ET
- Poster Presentation: Clinical Performance Evaluation of Lehfilcon A Monthly Replacement Silicone Hydrogel Toric Contact Lenses. Presented by Dr. Stephen Montaquila, 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. ET
- Poster Presentation: Clinical Performance of Two Monthly Replacement Spherical Contact Lenses. Presented by Dr. Gina Wesley, 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. ET
New Data Shows Positive Vision and Comfort Ratings for PRECISION1 and PRECISION1 for Astigmatism
PRECISION1, the fastest-growing daily disposable contact lens brand in the U.S., and PRECISION1 for Astigmatism, Alcon’s first daily disposable, SiHy toric lens at a mainstream price, will have seven new studies presented at #Academy21. Findings from two of the studies showed that PRECISION1, with its unique SMARTSURFACE® technology, provided positive vision and comfort ratings after 16 hours of wear in a high percentage of lens wearers. The following presentations on the PRECISION1 family brand of lenses will be presented on November 4 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. ET:
- Poster Presentation: Assessment of Evening Comfort and Vision with Water Surface Silicone Hydrogel Daily Disposable Lenses. Presented by Dr. Jennifer S. Fogt
- Poster Presentation: Subjective Performance of Verofilcon A Daily Disposable Soft Contact Lens After 16 Hours of Wear. Presented by Dr. Colton M. Heinrich
- Poster Presentation: Evaluation of Wear Experience with Water Surface Lenses in Current Wearers of Silicone Hydrogel Planned Replacement Lenses. Presented by Dr. Ryan Rutschilling
- Poster Presentation: Practitioners Have High Satisfaction with SMARTSURFACE® TECHNOLOGY Daily Disposable Contact Lenses. Presented by Dr. Timothy Grant
- Poster Presentation: Contact Lens Wearers Have High Satisfaction with SMARTSURFACE® TECHNOLOGY Daily Disposable Contact Lenses. Presented by Dr. Timothy Grant
- Poster Presentation: Assessment of U.S. Eye Care Professional and Consumer Satisfaction with Verofilcon A Daily Disposable Silicone Hydrogel Contact Lenses for Astigmatism. Presented by Dr. Carla Mack
- Poster Presentation: Survey of Patient and ECP Satisfaction with a New Daily Disposable Toric Contact Lens. Presented by Dr. Inma Perez-Gomez
DAILIES TOTAL1 Delivers Benefits to Wearers After Refit of Weekly and Monthly Lenses
A prospective, single-center study evaluated the change in ocular redness when DAILIES TOTAL1 is refitted on two- or four-week reusable contact lens wearers. The researchers concluded that DAILIES TOTAL1 delivered benefits to reusable lens wearers in the form of reduced limbal redness and increased wearing comfort. These findings will be presented in a poster entitled “Change in Objective Ocular Redness and Symptoms After Refit of Two-Weekly and Monthly Lenses into a Water-Gradient Daily Disposable Lens Material” on November 4 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. ET.
All paper and poster presentations will be available when #Academy21 commences and will remain available until November 6.
For more information on the Alcon innovations highlighted in this announcement, please visit Alcon booth #813, go to Professional.MyAlcon.com or AlconScience.com, or talk to your Alcon sales representative.
Alcon helps people see brilliantly. As the global leader in eye care with a heritage spanning more than seven decades, we offer the broadest portfolio of products to enhance sight and improve people’s lives. Our Surgical and Vision Care products touch the lives of more than 260 million people in over 140 countries each year living with conditions like cataracts, glaucoma, retinal diseases, and refractive errors. Our more than 23,000 associates are enhancing the quality of life through innovative products, partnerships with eye care professionals and programs that advance access to quality eye care. Learn more at www.alcon.com.